This is the jacket that goes with the breeches that I posted earlier for the understudy Walter in Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg at the Glyndebourne Opera.
The doeskin cloth came from Hainsworth Textiles and the jacket was lined in silesia with slippery lining in the sleeves for ease of dressing. I was lucky that most of the nutting out in choosing canvases had already been done and I was copying the principal jacket. I didn’t make the pattern so my job was pure tailoring this understudy costume. I will be honest and say that there are some things that I would rather have spent more time on and given another week, I would have redone them.
The artist has a very dropped right shoulder and I added a large pad in that side and cut that armhole slightly lower than the left to accommodate the difference. Looking at the finished photo, it didn’t resolve all of the issue but is much less obvious. For the close up photos the mannequin is quickly padded out and evened on the shoulders in order to be symmetrical. I apologise for the quality of the photos, I struggled with the lighting far too early in the morning. It was this or nothing! There are a couple of shots before the epaulettes went on also as I got a bit carried away.